Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Thankfulness & Homeschooling

Yesterday, I attended my first Learning Center Picnic.

I'm a homeschooling Mom? How did this happen? I'll be taking Nora to Learning Center a couple times a month for Music & Movement, Math Games and Art.

It doesn't seem so long ago, that I graduated in the sanctuary of Grace Chapel! As a Home Schooled student, I attended CHESS (both LC and CHESS meet at Grace Chapel) and had my graduation ceremony through CHESS.

Here I am, in a time of life, where I'll be responsible for the education of my children. I'm excited, astounded and a bit fearful of what the future holds. Will I be able to teach her all she needs to know? What if I can't do it?

Don't get me wrong, I know the practical. I know full well what a homeschooling household looks like. I know there will be days where my patience is tested, where my patience is exhausted, where my anger wins out.

But, I keep telling myself, there will be days of triumph. Days of memories. Days where patience prevails. Days of hope. Days that I will smile and laugh.

I'm thankful that I live in a place, where I have a choice in my child's education (at least for now). I'm thankful that God gives strength to the weak.

I'm thankful for women who have gone before me, taken this quest and succeeded!

I'm thankful for Co-op's like Learning Center, that build a support system. That don't leave you alone and floundering.

I'm thankful that despite all I am, she WILL learn. She will read. She will excel (maybe even in MATH!). God has molded her. God has a plan for her. I can't mess that up!

So, I embark on a new adventure for my life. I'm truly, officially a Home School Mom.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Well said. I've been thinking through so many of those same thoughts and emotions lately. There are times when I've been thinking that it shouldn't be as daunting as it feels... I feel like I've always known what homeschooling was going to be like because I was the student. I didn't fully understand many of the parental anxiety parts :- Again and again I come back to the fact that God loves and cares and prospers my kids even more than I ever could hope to. And you're right, They WILL learn! By the Grace of God! Blessings on your coming school year, by-the-way!