Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Nicoli's Kitchen

I'm stealing an idea I've seen on other Blogs (like Amy's!). I'm going to start putting on some recipes that Tim and I enjoy. So, if you are looking for ideas, check out my site on Wednesdays!
I will start it off with a recipe I found because I had a lot of leftover baked potato's from the Church Picnic! This soup was VERY YUMMY. I froze half of it, and when we ate the leftovers, it was even better than the first batch! It made for a very easy meal. Enjoy!
Ingredients:
5 medium baking potatoes
8 slices bacon (I used 1/2 lb of beef & used a little of the fat instead of the bacon drippings)
1 cup sweet onions -- chopped
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups half and half
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped (I used Tbl. Dried)
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (I used about 1 tea. Dried)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese -- divided
1 cup green onions, sliced -- divided (I omitted these, because I didn't have any!)
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped (we didn't use this either)
Directions:
Wash potatoes; prick several times with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until done; let cool. Peel potatoes, and slice crosswise. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Cook onion in drippings, stirring constantly, until tender; add flour, stirring well. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in potato, half-and-half, and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes (do not boil). Stir in 1 cup cheese and 1/4 cup green onions. Cook until cheese melts, stirring often. Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Top evenly with crumbled bacon. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 3/4 cup cheese, 3/4 cup green onions
, and parsley.

No comments: