Friday, March 20, 2009

Yet ANOTHER crazy day!

So, yesterday I was minding my own business on bed rest when I got a call from the OB's office!

They had just recieved some results from my ultrasound on Wednesday and Dr. Manning didn't like something that she saw!  They asked me to go to the Birthing Center, ASAP.  When I told them it would be in about 1 hour, they say "An hour?  You need to get here right away?".  Yeah, that put me into panic mode!

Tim was already on his way to Holy Spirit to drop of my 24 hour urine test, so I called him and he came back to get me.  Mom, Tim and I headed once again to the Birthing Center.

We got there and they hooked me up to a monitor and had me do a Non Stress Test.  Then sent me to Radiology for another Ultrasound.  While in the Ultrasound, Dr. Manning stopped in to chat with me.

Here's what happened.

Evidently, when she ordered the Ultra sound on Wednesday, she was only looking to see if Elise was still Breech.  However, the Radiologist did a more detailed U/S that gave them information that worried her.  

There is a grading system they use for 4 specific areas: Cord Blood Flow, Resperation, Movement, and Tone.  They give a 2 (good) or a 0 (bad) for each catagory.  So, the highest "grade" you get is 8.  Elise only got a 4 on Wednesday.  Cord Blood Flow - 2, Resperation - 2, Movement - 0, Tone - 0.  They start to worry when the baby gets a 6 or below.

So, they redid the test to check Elise's movements and tone.

She passed with flying colors!  She got an 8 out of 8 this time!!  What a relief!

They sent me back upstairs and told me everything looked good.  So, we waited to see Dr. Stegman to release me.

In his conversation, we talked about how Elise is still breech and what that means.  He likes to do "versions", which means manipulating the baby from outside the womb, to get her to move head down.  I've heard of this and seen a video of it.  It looks HORRIBLE and painful!  I also know that you can go through all this and either the baby never turns, or once turned, flips back into the breech posision!!!

3 out of 4 Dr.'s at the practice are willing to do Versions, if the circumstances are right.  Dr. Daggs showed up and said she wasn't too comfortable with it, because of my previous C-section.  But, Dr. Stegman said that he'd be free to do it Wednesday night if I wanted.  Dr. Long doesn't do Versions (that's who my next appointment is with).

We are going to try some excersizes over the weekend to see if we can get her to flip naturally, but then need to decide by Wednesday what we want to do.

I'm feeling very unsure about what is best, to try the Version and attempt a VBAC, or to just go ahead and schedule another c-section.

Prayers would be appreciated!!!


3 comments:

sarah said...

Praying for you guys and baby Elise ... especially that God would give you (and the Docs) wisdom in how to proceed.
Thanks for the updates!
Sarah H.

Danielle said...

you have my prayers girl. What a week you've had. I know this is a really tricky time for you guys. Hang in there and keep trusting the Lord. Thanks for all the updates.

Allie said...

I will be praying that God would move Elise into the best position for the best delivery according to his perfect plan. Also praying for your hearts to be at peace with whatever comes, as it seems you've been faced with quite a lot! Love, Allie